the veggie burrito bowl you need to try

Tuesday, 31 January 2017

I'm trying to go vegetarian this year so the whole month of January was dedicated to discovering new recipes without meat. I never really used to eat red meat, only chicken and fish so the transition was fairly easy as meat never used to be a main component of my meals in the first place. Whenever I think of vegetarian foods the words "bland", "tasteless" and "flavourless" come into my mind buuuttt I found a burrito bowl recipe online that actually tastes decent. It's very filling and can easily be prepared in 40 minutes or less if you're super quick. You can add meat like some cubed chicken breast, if you want- I'd season it the same way as the sweet potatoes. I promise I tried my hardest to make it look as aesthetically pleasing as I could but that obviously didn't happen.
What you need: um well I didn't really use specific measurements and just eyeballed everything sooo

Main dish:
A cup of white rice (or brown rice if you got money)
A tin of beans
One sweet potato
Drizzle of olive oil
Half a red pepper
Coriander (optional)

Dressing: the dressing does mean that it is no longer a vegan dish as it uses mayo but you can use a 'free from' alternative
Mayonnaise *i just used however much I wanted*
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp of les echalotes flakes (I don't know what they are called in english)
1/4 tsp cumin
Lemon juice
Pinch of salt and pepper

  1.  Cook the rice according to the packet instructions and ALWAYS WASH YOUR RICE ya nasty 
  2. Peel the sweet potato and then cut it into chunks then coat it with 3 tsp of olive oil and then add salt, pepper, paprika and chilli powder to season it. Put onto tray and then into the oven for 15 minutes.
  3. Whilst the potatoes are cooking, start chopping up the pepper and then add it into the tray and cook for another 15 minutes. (cook potato, take out, add pepper, cook again) Don't forget to actually take them out and not burn them :)))))
  4. Add the mayo into a bowl and put the same seasonings you used for the sweet potato but also add some cumin and lemon juice. This turns the sauce into a weird peachy colour that looks like vomit (yay) but tastes vvvv good.
  5. Warm up the beans with their salt water in the microwave until they're soft and mushy inside. Try not to cut your finger on the tin lid like I did #PROTIP
  6. Now you can start assembling the burrito bowl. Rice first, sweet potato and pepper second, add the beans and then add the sauce over it alongside some coriander if you want. 
This is the basic of basic combinations. The best thing about this is that you can completely tailor it to what you want and have different ingredients: you can add pumpkin seeds, avocado and other greens but ingredients were limited in the household lool (if you know, you know). If you do make this -pls do- then let me know on twitter or something because it would make me happy to see that someone actually trusts my culinary judgement ;)

Have you tried a burrito bowl before?
-Dalal

follow my blog on bloglovin:   Follow

12 comments :

  1. This looks delicious! I've been Vegetarian/Vegan for five months now and it's the greatest thing ever! My meals are never boring and I try new meals all the time. Good Luck on your journey to vegetarianism! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. I agree, switching to such lifestyles really does make a difference both physically and mentally! Thank you :)

      Delete
  2. Burrito bowls are my bitch, this one looks so good

    Edie x
    thelifeofedie.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks very yummy, here we don't use to eat this kind of bean, but I'm very curious to try them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely is :) The beans are just a mix of kidney beans, black turtle beans etc, they're quite accessible here in the UK.

      Delete
  4. I try and eat a mostly vegetarian diet, and this sounds/looks delicious - one to try out!

    Lucy | Forever September

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too, do try it out...it's so gooood!

      Delete
  5. yeah thanks now I'm hungry :/ Hahah it looks so delicious I need to try it out sometime!

    xx Solange | creativepineapples.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good thing you have a fab recipe right up on here ;) it's so nice, definitely give it a go!

      Delete
  6. this looks amazing!! I must try this x

    http://lovefromtasha.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

stop procrastinating and just comment already
jk
funny comments get extra points