an idiot in pAris

Friday, 6 January 2017

You probably know that I went to Paris for a week so here are 'some' photos from my trip. I've decided to make this into a travel guide too, Paris is such a big city with so many things to explore I found that a lot of the travel guides available on the internet are a bit too flowery and not really that realistic so hopefully mine will be lit :)

TRANSPORT:
In terms of transport, the metro is the way forward. On the first day we bought a 'carnet' which is a booklet of 10 metro tickets for €14.50 buuuuuuttt a lot of people in Paris don't even pay for the metro and just hop over barriers. I am going to say it with my chest, I always jumped over barriers or went in with other people because metro tickets are expensive boooooiiiii. People in Paris will literally hold the gate open for you and you either have to jump over or like crawl under the barrier, it's legit so much more chill there in terms of transport regulations. We didn't encounter any transport control (if they even have any) but if you do, just make sure that before you start hopping over barriers but at least ONE ticket and keep it with you at all time so whenever they do come and check, you have something to give them as "proof" #joannethescammer #ipromisei'mnotthisillegal. 

To navigate around the city via metro is very straightforward and simple too, the first day was hectic but as long as you have the app 'city mapper' then you're all set. If you don't have your roaming on so you can't use your data (like myself) I just loaded the directions at the hotel or wherever I had wifi, and screenshotted them.

LANDMARKS:
Day 1 we had to go and visit the Eiffel tower as it's pretty much the main landmark of Paris, if not France. We got off at Trocadero metro stop, walked a few minutes and boom bow, the eiffel tower was literally just there. You never realise just how big it is until you're standing in front of it ;) It's massive, the place is very good for photos as it provides a panoramic view of the eiffel tower and everything around it. We walked down and crossed a bridge (no idea what it's called) and then you can get right under it, we were going to go up it but the queues were sooo long. We then went back up to Trocadero to find somewhere to eat do not make the same mistake as us we went to Cafe Kleber which was one of those reaaaally classy and posh restaurants and ended up spending nearly €100 on food buuuut it was really nice. I also managed to break one of their fancy glasses and everyone turned around and looked at me probably thinking "what a peasant" but in french ofc. We then walked down Avenue Kleber which took us to the Arc de Triumph. This is where my dad managed to meet a Moroccan tour bus driver and we got onto it for the full tour for free, perks of being Moroccan oi oi. That basically took us around the majority of the landmarks and dropped us of at 'Concorde' We walked down through the christmas markets and avenue champs elysees and took the metro home that day.
Day 2 was one of the most unorganised and mishmashed ones, we went to Sacre Couer/Montmartre first and went in (it's free entry) and then we walked down a whole lot of stairs. Our next stop was to the Notre Dame, beware because there are multiple notre dame's- the one you probably know is San Michel. It took sooo long to get there because we just got off at the first Notre Dame stop we knew (rookie mistake) but we got there eventually. From there we walked to the Jardin du Luxembourg but we didn't get to spend much time there as it closes at 4:30pm :( but from what I briefly saw, it was really picturesque and laid-back. 

Day 3 was planned out by yours truly. We went to the louvre first but of course my plans failed because the museum is shut on Tuesdays :))))) It's actually free to visit if you're under 18 or if you're under 26 and are an EU resident. We just walked around the museum grounds and then walked down all the way to the arc du triomphe again in attempt to actually go up it but again, I forgot to bring ID to prove I'm an EU resident + that I'm under 18 sooo basically all my plans went to dust yay me. We just stayed under the arc and ate there before taking the metro back to the hotel, we were only out for a few hours that day. moral of the story: take ID with you everywhere :) 
Day 4 was the last day in Paris, it was a day we used to catch up on landmarks that we may have missed as a result of my very unorganised self. First thing we did was go back to the arc du triumph (with ID this time) and we went up it, the queue looked long but it was quite quick and we got to the desk in 15 mins so don't let the long lines put you off. It's also free for under 18's and under 26 y/o living in the EU, to go up. There are 284 stairs to climb up which is something to take into consideration but it's worth it as the view is insane. Afterwards we took the metro to travel near the eiffel tower/the seine so we could get onto a tour boat! This took us along all the more unknown landmarks. We ended up getting off at the Louvre again and then to the Burren Columns which are only a few minutes walk away, they were really quirky and much more modern and ahh so cute. 


All in all, I loved my trip to Paris and i would definitely recommend visiting the city (as you can probably imagine) even if it's only for a few days. I hope this travel guide/diary was of some use to you- if you have any more questions about where you should visit in the city etc then comment and I'll let you know :)))

-Dalal

follow my blog on bloglovin:   Follow

28 comments :

  1. Awwww Paris! It's so beautiful! <3 <3 <3
    Maybe this year I will visit it (maybe), and your guide may be helpful, it's good to know about the metro (but I'm always worried if the police stops me!) and the free entries to the museums, if I finally go, surely I will ask you more recomendations!

    cccsfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it is.
      I do hope you visit as it's such a fab city, hopefully my guide will be of some assistance. Haha the metro is very laid-back there and as I mentioned, just buy one ticket and keep it with you at all times as a "safe" card. The free entry to museums is such a great thing and you do end up saving quite a substantial amount of money in the end. Yeah definitely contact me if you need any thing more :)

      Delete
  2. YES I've been so excited for this post ever since I found out you were going to Paris. I went a few years ago with my dad and I loved it, I really want to go again!

    Edie x
    thelifeofedie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW thanks. Visit it again...in fact visit it as much as you can- you can't get sick of it if you truly explore it.

      Delete
  3. These are gorgeous photos, I honestly fell completely in love with Paris when I went! x
    www.lexiealexandra.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. tHE GUIDE Was really helpful as I’m going next saturday! ooooo can’t wait

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yh boi
      enjoy ur trip and use my guide :)))))

      Delete
  5. Paris is such a magical place! You have captured it beautifully, I'm longing to visit :D xx

    elizabeth ♡ ”Ice Cream” whispers Clara
    (lets follow each other on bloglovin or instagram)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. Thank you, I'm sure you'll love the city too :)

      Delete
  6. Beautiful photos! Paris is one of my fave cities!

    Terri x
    www.territalks.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it has become one of my favourites too :)

      Delete
  7. Oh wow! I love these photos 💕 I've always wanted to visit Paris
    Robyn // http://www.midnightandlace.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm going back to Paris at the end of February so this was so useful to find! Your photos are gorgeous too! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so exciting, hopefully this can come in handy. Thanks!

      Delete
  9. I'm just about to book a solo trip to Paris and am sure this post will come in handy! Good to know about the metro, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. sounds like you had an amazing time! I absolutely LOVE your photography as well x

    Lizz
    https://theethicalevolution.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so jealous of you omg. I want to go Paris SO bad and your photography looks amazing! Love it so much! I will definitely come back to this post aha just to read all about your experience because it sounds amazing. So wish I could go! hope you had a wonderful time lovely x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha don't be. You should go some day, it's pretty affordable to go by eurostar and to be honest you can do the whole city within two days or maybe even one if you're super speedy...you'll love it!

      Delete
  12. Such stunning photos! Paris is definitely one of those cities that I really badly want to visit! I´d never jump over the barriers though to get around. I´m too much of an anxious person for that, haha. I´ll definitely keep your travel tips in mind for when I might actually go to Paris!
    xx Lisa | Following Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a fab city haha even though jumping over barriers can be a bit of a chore. Good luck

      Delete
  13. This post is extremely helpful because I am hoping to go on a little trip to Paris in the summer. These photos are stunning and it sounds like you had an amazing time!!
    Hollie xx
    holliethorpe.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad it's useful, you'll love Paris- I can only imagine how pretty it would be in the warmer months. Thank youuu

      Delete
  14. Love this post- good recap of the city and I'm in love with your travel photography!

    Alice | Alice In Wonderlust

    ReplyDelete

stop procrastinating and just comment already
jk
funny comments get extra points