a book

Wednesday, 24 February 2016

Quite a vague title but I didn't want to go for the mainstream "book review- everyday by David Levithan" Anyway, I'm doing a book review which is something I don't think I've ever tried blogging about before but here goes. I am an avid reader despite the fact I don't keep it vocal, give me a book and I'll finish it in the space of a day. I don't know, there's just a grounding sense of humility when people read. It shows you that that person is longing for more in life, they want to see more and experience more so the way they do it is by reading and temporarily living through the characters and going through what they go through. Onto the book... primarily I wasn't too keen on reading this, the blurb just made it sound like any other young adult book but it's so much more. The plot is extremely intriguing, as with many other books, I found myself unable to put this down and often stayed up reading until 3am in the morning (but that's okay because that's what half terms are for) A, the protagonist, has a very strange backstory to them. Everyday they wake up in a different body, they're still themselves soul wise but they have to take responsibility over the body they're in that day- trying to disregard their feelings to satisfy the others. A takes over the body of a boy who's in a complex relationship with a girl, who A (or A's soul more like) falls in love with. From there it's a whole different story with people claiming they've been possessed by the devil to A driving hours to meet her. I'm trying my best not to give too much of the synopsis away but it's proving very difficult. There was no real ending to this, well there obviously was but when the book ended I was a bit baffled as to what happens next. It definitely isn't a cliff hanger but I was expecting a bit more information before the book ended y'know? I guess that's the beauty of it, you finish the book and then it's up to you to ponder on the rest of the story. Each persons interpretation is different. As much as I've sung praises about this book I have to say that I hated reading it. Not because the plot or language was bad but because it often left me frustrated as I was almost forced to question almost every single thing in the book. Yet, I continued reading as I drew closer to the end I managed to start recognising the wit Levithan has. He has amazing story telling skills, although the book connected with me on a philosophical level and tended to puzzle me I was still too engrossed to give up. A real mastermind he is.

I feel as if I've spoken too too much about this book so here's a little round up:
good plot
interesting language
deep meanings and symbols throughout that almost force you to think
extremely intriguing, as much as you don't want it to be

Have you read this book?
Dalal

12 comments :

  1. Wow definitely sounds like an interesting read! I must buy this soon thoigh I never read so much anymore because by the time I finish homework I'm fed up looking at books.. Really need to get back into it as I do love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is! I've gotten back into reading for fun a bit more just so I can take my mind of GCSE revision etc

      Delete
  2. I need to get into reading a lot more! This book is intriguing and I will have a look at it!

    <3
    Chariza M. | LE-VISUALISTE.COM

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have a book post coming soon ;) If you love books about ‘switching’ bodies, you’d love ‘Midwinterblood’ by Marcus Sedgwick! It takes some time getting into as everything revels it self at the end. But it is amazing!!

    Ambra
    Fridays are fab

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh fancy, I'll have a look for it in the library (aint nobody got time + money to be buying books lol)

      Delete
  4. I love this book so much!!! I totally agree with you about taking a day to read a book; I got through this so easily x

    Eleanorclaudie.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay! even if I don't like a book, I'll force myself to finish it within two days ha

      Delete
  5. Such a great review. I always go through a book in a day if it's a good book. I'm always looking for new books to read, so I'll keep this in mind.
    Katie x
    katiehopkinson.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you!! definitely look into this one,

      Delete

stop procrastinating and just comment already
jk
funny comments get extra points