Building a minimalist wardrobe (not literally!)

Saturday, 27 June 2015

Building a new wardrobe can seem very taunting and intimidating at first however if you pick your new clothes accordingly it'll be a breeze! I've put together the bare essentials in order to get your new style up and ready to go. These items are extremely easy to style and I can already think of many outfits that can be made using any of the items I've shown and they're all relatively cheap.

Basic tees have been life savers for me on many occasions, whether it's a last minute call to go out shopping or having to go to Tesco for my mum- most likely the second option- these tops are extremely easy to style. Personally I think just throwing this top on with a pair of mid wash distressed skinny jeans with the top slightly tucked in  along with some white converse can make a really easy and comfy outfit!

Again, another lifesaver, I think I'm going to be using that term to describe a lot of things in this post. Throw this on with some black jeans and a pair of white sneakers to give a fool proof look as well as that effortless Parisian vibe and let's face it, who doesn't want that? If you're wearing a bright red/orange/pink lip that day this minimalist top will help draw more attention to your bright lip colour even more!

I actually don't own a leather jacket yet but I've been contemplating on whether I should get one and have decided to wait until September as it'll be getting more where then. I've seen many girls on my Pinterest board styling leather jackets with a breton top and plain black skinnies with some ankle booties and it really does look more put together. Leather jackets are extremely versatile when it comes to styling- you could wear it with a floral dress to roughen it up a little or with a classic white shirt and tailored trousers for a more androgynous look. Lucky for us this leather jacket it on sale for £30 in Topshop!


These. Will. Save. Your. Summer. I'm not even joking, denim shorts will save you on those days when it's too hot and you simply cannot be bothered. By just throwing on these babies with a basic tee and a flannel wrapped around your waist you can quickly create a laid back outfit with just three items of clothing!

Ladies, I present to you one of your potentially most worn dress, the classic little black dress. This can go from day to night time real quick (0-100 real quick), during the day styling this with a denim jacket and some converse could make the perfect relaxed outfit but if you'd like to make it more suitable for the evening then adding a statement silver necklace and black strappy heels with a leather jacket will do the trick!

I have nothing else to say other than these are an absolute staple in your wardrobe- forget the stuff I spoke about above, these are the starting point for every girls new wardrobe and if you haven't invested in a good pair of skinny jeans then now is the time because these could possibly be the best clothing item you've paid for- trust me! You should always make sure you buy good quality denim, especially when it's black as I find that some black jeans do tend to fade away when washed and turn to this dark grey colour which I still like but just be cautious of that.

The high neck cami
As we all know black goes with everything so whether you wear this with white jeans, denim skirts or even patterned shorts just know that this basic piece has got your back, no matter how bizarre the other patterns in your outfit may be. High necks have been in trend for the past year and they still are so there are many ways of styling them. 

Nothing is more sharp than a crisp white shirt and a pair of black slacks so if you're going out for a fancy meal or just going somewhere smart then going for this outfit will definitely set some good first impressions. Also wearing this shirt with some distressed boyfriend jeans and heels can create a fashion oxymoron, but the good type!

Ahh, unfortunately it's a little too hot to wear these around but this is an essential when it comes to that awkward "it's not hot but it's not cold so do I wear a coat or not" stage around September so wearing this as a replacement to a coat could save you from potentially freezing in this bipolar British weather. Also monochrome is a good choice to go for in a cardigan because it'll probably go with the majority of your outfits so you'll look good whilst feeling comfy- win win!

These can literally be worn with everything especially as they are black, I find that they also look very feminine and dainty when worn with most things like dresses and jeans, they're also very comfy to walk in and if you invest in a good pair then you'll be able to get a lot of wear out of these.

I feel as if I've just rambled on for a very long time but hopefully my rambles can help someone who is trying to update their clothes or trying new things (like me!) Everything I've included in here is linked and they're all highstreet and the majority of the items picked are on sale so you can find these things at pretty good prices. 

What are your closet staples and what items are you looking to buy soon?
Enjoyed this post? Share it with your friends!

24 comments :

  1. This is such a useful post Dalal, I love just how simple these items of clothing are but you can accessorize to dress it up or down. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katie, I love how versatile these items can be
      Dalal x

      Delete
  2. I like this post a lot - very helpful! I'm guilty - I don't own most of these!

    Edie x
    thelifeofedie.blogspot.co.uk x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Edie, I would have expected more from you especially as you're a fashionista haha, thank you :)
      Dalal xx

      Delete
  3. Lovely and very helpful post Dalal! Loved it! Definitely all things every girl needs in her wardrobe!

    Bx
    beccaemilyx.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, you need at least two pieces in my opinion!
      Dalal xx :)

      Delete
  4. This post is very detailed - I don't know half of the names of the different styles of clothes! I really enjoyed reading this. I really need some more summer clothes but I have to find a job first! Great post x

    Chloe - www.chloepaigee.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took so much time and browsing through Pinterest to write this haha. You should definitely try to pick up some of these items I agree clothes can be expensive but majority of shops are on sale now so use that to your advantage :)
      Dalal xx

      Delete
  5. Hello DEar !! follow each other? If yes , please follow me to the pre-GFC and leave a comment. For sure I will come back and follow you. Loves


    http://beautybeybi.blogspot.com.tr/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh My!!! This is great information I want to give my closet a makeover but I don't want to spend a fortune doing it. I need more staple pieces because I will definitely be doing a lot of mixing and matching from now on. Thanks for the info. Great garment selection as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand what you mean, clothes can be expensive! I think if you just buy a pair of black jeans and a few basic tees in different colours like beige, grey, blacks etc then you'll be able to make many outfits! Thanks for the comment Tee :)
      Dalal xx

      Delete
  7. I definitely need to buy a few staples pieces to add to my wardrobe :)

    RachelShuchatMakeup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're really easy to style :)
      Dalal xx

      Delete
  8. I've actually bought a few stripy tops the other day! they go with everything! thanks for sharing :)

    ♡SleepyHeaven♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're extremely versatile :)
      Dalal xx

      Delete
  9. I love the monochrome look, its so classic and versatile. Definitely a trend I reach for the most!

    http://njcdesigns.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely a fan of monochrome as well, I agree it's very easy to style and can be worn with anything! The majority of my clothes are either black or white too haha
      Dalal xx

      Delete
  10. This is like my whole wardrobe, and everything is black to haha. I much prefer the essentials than uncomfortable clothing x

    www.throughneweyesx.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Around 80% of my wardrobe is black clothing, the other 20% is mainly beiges, greys and whites aha!
      Dalal x

      Delete
  11. Love this post! Very useful as i'm trying to restart my wardrobe and fill it with basics!
    Great blog, i'm about to follow on bloglovin!

    Aim | www.thetracesofmythoughts.blogspot.co.uk x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for following :), basics are amazing as you can pair them with each other so easily!
      Dalal x

      Delete
  12. This makes such a difference to your life. I went through the process of creating a minimalist wardrobe when we had had new wardrobes fitted. I love how (when I open up the doors) everything is coordinated and already looks good together before I even put clothes on. The combination of a minimalist wardrobe and fitted wardrobes has been an absolute godsend.

    Angella Frasier @ 4-Wardrobe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine! That's so lucky, my wardrobe is everything but coordinated hah

      Delete

stop procrastinating and just comment already
jk
funny comments get extra points