Blog Turn-offs

Monday, 1 June 2015


Yes I know we're constantly told by mothers, teachers and preachers not to judge a book by its cover
but it can be pretty hard sometimes.

Today I'll be doing a different post which is my blog turn-offs, I may come off as a bit negative but I don't mean it intentionally at all and I'm sure many may agree with the following-


1. Busy/cluttered design

This is one of the things that gets me all the time. Say someone has commented their blog URL and I decide to check it out only to be greeted with a massive header with a fluorescent sunset, bright red and yellow flashing adverts on either side of the blog and almost illegible font. As soon as it loads I would probably click right back and out of that blog just because it's too noisy and I'm too distracted by the other bits of the blog I can't even focus on the most important bit; the content. It's extremely easy to transform your blog by simply removing ads, changing font to a clearer one and even just doing a quick, speedy blog design fix with a white background and a custom header- there you have it, a read worthy blog.

2. Small photos

This adds on to the point I made before, I will not even bother to squint my eyes if the photos on the blog are small. If you've taken photos of your favourite lipstick surely you'd want to blow them up so people can see why this lipstick is so fantabulous? It's not extremely hard to just click on the photo and select the extra large option is it? I put a lot of time and effort into my blog and my photos don't slip out of the net and if you also put time into your photos why not make them massive to show them off! Tiny photos as a whole look unprofessional and decrease the spaciousness on the blog making it seem 'small' and cluttered; of course I've had small photos before but I've learnt the importance so if you have small photos then start enlarging them for future posts.

3. Grammar/spelling errors

Probably the worst of them all. I'm not a full on grammar 'nazi' (I probably am to my friends though) but I wouldn't want to read a post where the person has forgotten how to differentiate between 'there', 'their' and 'they're' or have made a significant amount of spelling mistakes. It's just very unprofessional. Yes, many people do have the odd slip up or two, that's fine because I've had them too but always manage to edit in the correct spelling/punctuation/grammar just because it makes such a big difference. Once again everyone makes mistakes but if every single post is full with grammatical or spelling errors it will put me off your blog and I'd probably not read it again. There are many free online websites out there where you can copy and paste your content and it'll tell you your spelling or grammar mistakes for you to change them so use those to help stop the widespread of illiteracy throughout blogs.

4. Basic content

No I don't expect you to do a blog post on your amazonian rain forest trek adventures and such but just make sure you throw in some content that will differentiate you from others because reading a post that many other bloggers have out there can just drown you into the others and you'll be just another blogger but we don't want that. Try writing a post that is unique to you, maybe your favourite parts of your hometown because many people who are reading that post could have never visited your area so it'll be more interesting for them and you get to take photos so it's win win. Another thing that goes under this is tags. I look on your blog what do I see? A tag, and another one, and another one! Sometimes they can get extremely repetitive and just plain boring they're usually not of high quality and they're posts you can throw together in under ten minutes which will most definitely show through when people are reading it. I do like having some variety here on Monochrome Daisies and I do have some tags up just to break the ice between myself and newer readers along with makeup reviews or OOTDs just so everything balances out and it's not all one certain 'genre' of post throughout the blog.

5. No replies & spam comments

Honestly I appreciate every single comment I get on here and reply to all of them, I know many bigger bloggers find it as a burden due to the amount of comments they get but I absolutely love doing it however sometimes when I comment on other peoples posts and check back a few days later to see if they've replied and see nothing then that puts me off a little. If you're a blogger you should dedicate time to have a chit chat to other people who cared enough to give their views and feedback and not just ignore it fully. Another thing that I despise is when someone comments 'Follow me on bloglovin' or something of that sort, it's extremely annoying...almost as annoying as a cluttered blog design. If someone comments that (which has happened before) it's as if they don't really care about what you've just written and only really care about getting an extra blog follower which I understand because I'll happily follow others if they want me too as long as I like their blog but when someone just asks if I can follow them it does annoy me a little.

Once again I hope I haven't offended anyone but more like taught you a lesson or two -sound much harsher than it is- because trust me once you've made sure you don't do these things your blog will be much more enjoyable for others to view and read! 

What's your blog turn-off, why?


18 comments :

  1. This is a great post Dalal, I agree with all of these, what annoys me most is when you can tell through someone's blog that they are just copying someone else and not actually being true to themselves, if that makes sense. Anywa. this was a really good post idea, and I love the way it's written xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! I also hate when people copy other people's post, I rememeber reading through this girls blog (not naming any names) and I really liked her post and commented and started writing my own one until I found out she literally copied and pasted on of Tanya Burrs posts on her blog so that put me off so much!
      Dalal x

      Delete
  2. You've totally hit the nail on the head with this post Dalal! This is such a unique idea for a blog post as well! I loved it! It's so important to make sure your blog is actually good and looks attractive if you want people to enjoy it. We always say it's not about the followers but all bloggers want someone to like and enjoy reading their page, not be totally disappointed with it! Anyway, I'm rambling! Brilliantly written post Dalal :)

    Becca x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with everything you've just said! Of course it's not all about the followers but it's nice to know that some people do enjoy your posts enough to want to read more and such.
      Dalal x :)

      Delete
  3. You hit the nail on the head I can not stand any if these grrr.. Soz I never reply back to you lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can be so irritating!
      Dalal x
      ps- and it's fine haha

      Delete
  4. Great points gurlie!!! Think it's great tips for anyone with a blog really! And hope I don't do too many of these things ;) xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lois, I'm sure you don't do all these things but use this as a learning tool :)
      Dalal x

      Delete
  5. I really do agree with these points! Especially the cluttered design and extremely small pictures, it simply isn't that hard to click extra larger. I love how you took a 'harsh' topic and made it like blogging tips. I think I do need to step on my grammar and spelling but also my writing in general is not the best hah. Whoops kind of a long paragraph

    Ambra xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't like cluttered designs and small text in really weird fonts is especially annoying. I think everyone's made grammar mistakes but as you progress through blogging they will improve I promise! Thank you for your feedback Ambra :)
      Dalal x

      Delete
  6. All so very true - I totally agree

    Krissie x - http://pearlsofstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with everything you said here! Thanks for the insight and for the pointers!
    Starrzbeauty.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think design is definitely key - I need eye food as well as brain food!

    www.beaucience.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. The small pictures and spam literally just piss me off. Just discovered your blog like 5 minutes ago and I'm loving it :)

    mimi | http://bookfanaticss.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so annoying! And thank you :)
      Dalal x

      Delete

stop procrastinating and just comment already
jk
funny comments get extra points